Sunday, May 17, 2009

where do we start?

I've been looking for something and not found it, but in the search I unearthed notebooks from years ago when we had no money but went on holiday anyway. It was the event of the year as far as I was concerned - 2 children, a husband who was a careerist, so hardly ever home before 7pm after leaving at 7.30 am. The day was a desert if I had no classes - I worked at night to ensure we had a holiday. various jobs mostly selling M & S seconds at 'parties' great gatherings of women to which I took a car load of black bags containing childrens, womens and mens clothing, and the most popular items - towels and tea towels - why them? They were good fun, those parties, always food provided by the hostess, and always sold something, better than when I tried Tupperware.

So I've decided to blog these holidays as if they were happening now but the differences are immense relatively speaking - no mobile phones, cars were much less reliable than now, couldn't really afford disposable nappies, (but made an effort to go 50/50 on holiday), tents are self erecting now whereas we had endless colour coded poles to be fitted together and then an internal bedroom tent to be attached, oh and a kitchen extension - yes, believe me!!

All the expenses are there too, but I don't know what the comparison between £1 in 2009 and 1978 - perhaps someone out there does? Tried Google, couldn't find it

ok so tomorrow I'll start the preparation for my 1978 holiday from Liverpool to the South of France in a 1969 Morris Estate - did we get there? tell you later

No comments:

Post a Comment